Minutes of the Regular Meeting of the Council of the Municipality of Semans
held on Wednesday, the 16th day of Decemeber, 2015 in the Municipal Office
at Semans, Saskatchewan.
Mayor – Duane Linford
Deputy Mayor – Malcolm Bains
Alderman – Heidi Linford
Alderman – Tom Anderson
Acting Clerk – Shannon Cameron
Alderman – Perry Fehr
Call to Order:
A quorum being present, Mayor Duane Linford, called the meeting to order at 5:02pm.
282/15 Bains: That the agenda be accepted as presented. Carried.
283/15 Anderson: That the minutes of the regular meeting of November 18th, 2015 be approved as read. Carried.
***Justin Peevers Arrived at 5:16pm***
• Officially Introduction of Council Members
• Discussion on how Justin was settling into town.
• Discussion on any problems Justin was seeing.
o Truck need new front windshield.
o Ed is struggling with completing paper work for the Water Treatment Plant properly.
o Ed is fail to communication issues at the Water Treatment Plant to Justin in a timely fashion.
• Justin will bring paper work from the Water Treatment Plant into the next council meeting for review.
• Justin is still waiting on his high school transcripts from Ministry of Education.
• Justin plans on starting snow pile removal later this week as temperatures are supposed to drop.
***Justin Left at 5:44pm***
Business Arising from Minutes:
Jim Waggoner – Dam Reservoir:
284/15 D.Linford: That we table discussion on what to do about the license for the dam reservoir until Tom has had a chance to talk to Jim. Carried.
School Roof – Grant Funding Feel Through:
285/15 D.Linford: That Shannon look into what is involved with upkeep and such if we were to classify the School as a Heritage Build, and get back to us with information at the next meeting. Carried.
Touchwood Hill Regional Landfill:
286/15 H.Linford: That Shannon do a mail drop with information on the new Single Stream Recycling bins December 30th, keeping them on the down low until January 1st. We will monitor the usage of the bins and modify access if necessary. Carried.
***Barry & Melanie Peeke Arrived at 5:56pm***
• They explain some of the issue with how things are being run by the Regional Park Authority. With a few people making decision below board and not listening or allowing other board members to participate in decision making.
• They ask if the Village would be will to come back to the Park as contributing member so that there would be more communities involved.
o As of right now the board is a majority of Govan and RM of Last Mountain members.
• Every contributing municipality is allow to appoint two board members.
• The average contribution from municipalities at this time is $1000.
• Melanie stated that there are a few Last Mountain Regional Park users that would be will to donate some of the money to the Village to add to a contribution.
• The part with us, after telling us that the next meeting of the Regional Park Authority is January 5th, 2016.
***Barry & Melanie Left at 6:18pm***
287/15 Anderson: That the accounts be accepted as presented and attached.
Fay Belfour Hours:
288/15 D.Linford: After reviewing the Accounts, council ask that Shannon talk to Fay about possibly paying her just for actual hours worked, as opposed to the standard minimum 3hrs she is entitled to. Carried.
289/15 H.Linford: That the November, 2015 financials be accepted as presented, and filed OR as attached hereto and forming a part of these minutes. Carried.
290/15 D.Linford: That we have Shannon transfer $70,000 out of our General Account into our Savings Account. Carried.
Line Of Credit:
291/15 Bains: That Shannon look into whether or not we are allowed to set up a line of credit just in case it is needed somewhere down the road. Carried.
Canada Post Box Office Contract:
292/15 H.Linford: That Duane signs the Canada Post Box Office Contact. Carried.
293/15 Bains: That we table discussion on the purchase of the lot south of Ladner’s shop at this time. Carried.
Godwin Meter Deposit Refund:
294/15 Bains: That Shannon will apply the $50 credit to the Godwin utility account. Carried.
Post Office Needs:
295/15 H.Linford: That we take the shop vac from the shop to the Post Office. Carried.
296/15 D.Linford: That Shannon go ahead and order a wet floor sign for the Post Office from Supreme Office Supplies. Carried.
Can Am – Bobcat Upgrade:
297/15 D.Linford: That we table talk of upgrading the bobcat at this time as it is just not in the budget. Carried.
Move Garbage Pickup:
298/15 H.Linford: That we move garbage pickup to December 24th and 31st as the next to Friday’s fall on stats. Shannon will do a mail drop. Carried.
Shannon Day Off:
299/15 H.Linford: That we allow Shannon to take of January 22nd. Carried.
Last Mountain Times Ad:
300/15 Anderson: That we go ahead and place a Christmas Greeting ad in the Times again this year. Carried.
SUMA, FCM and UMASS Membership Renewals:
301/15 D.Linford: That we go ahead and renew our SUMA, FCM and UMASS memberships for the upcoming year. Carried.
Semans Fire District Contribution:
302/15 Bains: That we go ahead and pay our Semans Fire District fees again this year. Carried.
303/15 Anderson: That we rent the Rec Center for our Christmas Party this year on January 17th, 2016. Also that we get the Brinkhouse to cater. Carried.
Go Out & Play:
304/15 H.Linford: That we give the information to the Centennial Committee.
305/15 Bains: That we table a decision on the Sask Alert Service until we have more information. Shannon will look farther into it, and present at next meeting. Carried.
306/15 D. Linford Next meeting January 13th, 2016 @ 5:00pm.
307/15 D. Linford: That the meeting be adjourned. Carried.